Fall Flea and Tick Control
Fall has officially arrived! Your pets might be feeling the relief from summer heat, but that doesn’t mean the threat of fleas and ticks has passed. Especially in our continuing warm weather, flea and tick prevention and treatment is as important as ever. Fleas thrive in temperatures around 70 degrees, and can even live year round in a warm house. Therefore, it is important to continue treating your pet for fleas and ticks even as the seasons change. We recommend the following products for flea and tick prevention:
Tick Control Products:
- Frontline TopSpot – excellent for low, medium or high exposure. Applied monthly during at-risk months.
- Essential Oils – excellent for low exposure or short exposure situations (weekend camping trip) . Applied daily or weekly.
- Advantix II – excellent for medium and high exposure. Applied monthly.
Flea Control Products:
- Frontline Topspot– Excellent for prevention or treatment.
In high exposure areas, apply monthly. In low risk situations, apply every 45-60 days.
- Essential Oils – excellent for low exposure or short exposure situations. Applied as needed.
- Advantage II – excellent for active infestations. A bit strong/toxic for low risk situations. Applied monthly.
Revolution – prevents fleas/ticks/ear mites and heartworm. Since it is so strong, it is best for use only in cats that have high risk, including any cat that goes outside, even briefly.
House cats are a lower risk and since cats do not tolerate drugs/chemicals very well, it is best not to use any products, unless you need to.
Please be sure to consult Dr. Miller before administering any of these products to your pets.